The only forest patch remaining in the Terai region of Nepal has been declared as protected forest by the Government of Nepal on 25th February 2014 (2069/11/14). The total area of the forest is 360 hectares.
With the help of international experts, Mithila Wildlife Trust has designed a concept to develop the forest as a Biological Unit which will act as an Environmental Knowledge Bank and the work plan has been approved by the Department of Forests, Ministry of Forests and Soil Conservation, and the Government of Nepal.
The Dhanushadham Biological Unit will include a Herbal Garden, Tropical Garden, Nakshatra Park, Children’s Park, Picnic Spot, Snake Enclosure, Butterfly Sanctuary, Zoo, Wildlife Safaris, Boating Pond, Rescue Centre, Veterinary Hospital, Canteen, Gift Shop, and more, for wildlife conservation and to promote tourism in the region.
Goals and Objectives of the DBU
- To preserve and increase ecological and biological diversity
- To stop poaching for protection of indigenous species
- Promotion of environmental education and sustainability
- Conservation and Promotion of History, Religion and Indigenous Culture
- Development of new business opportunities in and around the district
- Reduction in Poverty and emmigration
Tourism Opportunity in the Region, for the DBU:
- Dhanushadham is one of the major spots of Mithila Parikrama, a religious tour of 15 religious spots from the ancient Mithila state
- Janakpur and Dhanushadham receive more than Ten Lakh (1,000,000) national and international religious tourists every year
- Daily average number of tourists to Dhanush temple (200m from proposed main entrance) is 125 people per day (according to a survey conducted by Mithila Wildlife Trust in March 2013)
- There are presently no other comparable high-volume tourism locations in the Terai region of Nepal between Chitwan National Park and Koshi Tapu Wildlife Reserve in Saptari district
- Bihar state of India has only one tourism spot in Patna
Please Contact Us to donate or invest in the development of the Biological Unit or wish to know more.